Monday, November 16, 2009

Seattle Homebrew Chapter Reporting In

Kate here, I am taking charge of the Seattle portion of this club, at least for the time being. We have a few folks here who are part of local homebrew clubs and have created some really good stuff. I'm a relative neophyte to this whole business so apologies if I don't use the right jargon and whatnot.

So this is my first time actually documenting a beer brewing recipe, JB got me into brewing about a year ago and I'm still learning. He came up with this recipe on the fly after he asked me a few questions about what type of beer I wanted to brew the first time. My boyfriend likes lighter beers, I like darker beers. My boyfriend hasn't yet developed a taste for IPAs, I think they're good. (Stone IPA is my personal favorite.) As a good middle ground, JB proposed an ESB for the first beer. It was a hit. We liked it so much we keep making it. So much for variety! At any rate, I hope you all enjoy it.

Kate's ESB (Good for first-time brewers.. i.e. I managed to not mess it up the three times I've made it so far.)

1 lb. English Crystal 60
1/2 lb. Belgium Aromatic
1/2 lb. Belgium Caramunich
for 30 minutes at approx. 150 degrees then add to boil with 30 minutes to go

Hops: (total measurements)
1 oz Willamette
2 oz Goldings

6 lbs. Dry Amber Malt (60 min. boil)

Add times:
Add 1 oz. Willamette with 60 minutes to go
Add 1 oz. Goldings and 1 tsp of Irish Moss with 15 minutes to go
Add 1 oz. Goldings with 5 minutes to go.

Use Pacman Yeast.

Note: the second time I made it, I used:
1 lb. English Crystal 40
1/2 lb. english Crystal 70
1/2 lb. Belgium Aromatic
and everything else was the same. It turned out different than the first time obviously, but just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion...