Friday, May 25, 2012

What's got me excited! May 2012

As anyone who has read my blog will know, I'm terrible at keeping it updated, but you may also know my lack of blog frequency is almost inversely proportional (a little grad school vocabulary for you) to my frequency and inspiration for brewing and beer. I wanted to post on a few things that have really gotten me excited about beer over the past 6 months to a year. 
Since this is a blog it's only natural to mention my cousin Chris has started, and he updates it frequently, an amazing blog with great format, http://BrewingBrooklyn.com. You really should check it out...He's quick to remind me I need to share some of my beer adventures more often as well.

The Small Batch Big Thirst Charity Event in February was a fantastic opportunity to get feedback from beer drinkers outside of the usual suspects, i.e. Rachel. It also raised over $5000 for the Wounded Warrior charity! I got to meet the head brewer at Uncommon Brewers out of Santa Cruz, CA, Alec, where I was able to volunteer at in March. Anytime I get to check out a commercial craft beer operation it's a inspiring but this was truly special. The types of beer's he makes and his approach to beer and the industry is something I hope to bring to my homebrewery.

Some new Hardware: Oak Barrel...I don't need to say much more. But I will, My first batch only took 4 days in the barrel and was a big American Barleywine, Fantastic oaky flavors with some light citrus, vanilla, and spice. On a similar note, Bourbon Oak Barrel! WHAAT, this is all thanks to chris, and it's currently waiting for me in Maryland. So i cant wait for a little collaboration with my Dad, homebrew teacher/neighbor Dave, and hopefully the gift giver himself, Chris.

Credentials and Stuff: I'm currently a certified Cicerone Beer Server, which is the lowest level of the Cicerone program which aims to be comparable to wine's Sommelier. Also, I'll be taking two BJCP Tasting Exams coming up in June and November to help increase my knowledge and share my love of beer with a broader audience. The tests should be a challenge, but I'm excited for the opportunity.

Wedding Brews (V.2) - I got to bring some homebrew, an IPA, down to one of my best friends weddings in Beaufort, South Carolina recently and then hand over the equipment as a wedding gift. I know the beer was enjoyed by all at the wedding but I hope this opens the door for him to get obsessed like I am.

What's next?

Keep on brewing! Of course. Hopefully doing a Pro-Am with a professional brewer sooner than later and before my time at the Naval Postgraduate School is over, hosting a charity homebrew event with NPS brewers. Some of you may know the BluePoint Cask Ales Fest in Long Island, NY and others the Small Batch Big Thirst in San Francisco. These two events really got me excited about the idea of having a small-ish festival with homebrew that really celebrates community, creativity, and collaboration in my small bubble of the brewing world.

Till Next time, Happy Memorial Day & Cheers!



Also Check out: http://Zornbrewing.blogspot.com

Today's Brew: West Seattle Ale (Northwest (read: alittle hoppy) Amber Ale), this is one of the few recipes I try to produce repeatedly with consistency because I really love the recipe, let me know if you'd like the recipe.

What's on Tap:
Flying Ace Summer Wheat Ale, 5.3abv, 22ibu
Kailua Kolsch, 5.3abv, 35ibu
Medford's Farewell Vintage Trappist Ale, 7.0abv, 24ibu
Starrs Dry Stout (on Nitro)
Black Dragon Coffee Dry Stout
Recent Bottling:
Zornhammer American Barleywine (w/ and w/o American Oak), 9.75%, 90ibu

Got a beer idea or question? Shoot me a line, I 'd love to get the email chains rolling again with beer filled goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion...