Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Blogger/ New Beer


Greetings from beautiful Yorktown.
I only have one recipe to share for now until I go back home and dig out the recipe book. I've been brewing for about 2 years now, and have stuck solely with extract brewing. I dont have the time, or honestly the patience, to switch to all grain brewing. I brew on a turkey burner in the back yard with typically 7~ish (precise measurements arent my thing either) water, so I get all the usage out of the hops.

This is probably my favorite homebrew that I have made, and it is a derivative of "Deep Shaft Stout"

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18/21
I never had the original, I just took a stab at a stout recipe, so I have no idea if it is a clone. but its good homebrew, so who cares.

I re-named it "Nevermore" because of the black color, and put a Raven on the label. Not too many points for originality there.. so on to the recipe

1.15lb Breiss Roasted Barley
1/2lbs flaked oats
Steep@150-160 30 mins in 7 gals of water

8.5lb LME (pale)
.65 Lbs LME (wheat)

3oz Fuggles :60
.5oz Kent Golding :15
Safale S-04 rehydrated for 25 mins before pitching
1.072 OG

Deep black color, agressive ferment


After 13 days I racked to Secondary.

black color and very malty with lots of chocolate flavor.

Gravity = 1.020 = 6.8% ABV

I dont have any more notes on when I kegged. the beer was great, and I have brewed it a few more times, and made a "Shockalot" Stout with the same recipe, and 3 Tablespoons of Hershey's cocoa powder mixed with a bit of water to make a paste, dropped the paste and racked the beer onto it in secondary for 2-3 weeks. reminds me of a "Young's Double Chocolate Stout"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion...